Coombe Wood Gardens - Croydon

Coombe Wood Gardens
Coombe Road
Croydon 
CR0 5RQ
 
 
This is somewhere that I have been coming to for years as it's one of my mums favourite local places to visit.  I've also done a few family photo-shoots here for other people! But interestingly I'd not thought to take Oliver here until this summer, when some friends arranged to have lunch in the café.  I took Oliver along and we spent ages in the woods.  He absolutely loved it and I realised how much there is to explore.  We have since been back several times!
 
The gardens themselves are beautifully maintained and the woods are far enough back from the road to be quiet.  With little windy stone paths, rock pools and the woods, its the perfect place to collect pinecones, stones and find the perfect walking stick! There is also a fish pond at the entrance with big karp, which is a hit with Oliver, although sometimes so much so that we don't actually get into the gardens for ages and we do have issues leaving...'byeeeeeeeeeeeee fish!'
 
 
 

 

The gardens are totally free! This is a fantastic place to come to when you just need to get out of the house and get some fresh air!  The café food is quite nice, I think its fairly expensive and to be honest the service has never been too great when I've been there, but it has a nice outdoor courtyard.  I think its a good place for a cup of tea and a piece of cake rather than a meal, and there's nothing to stop you from taking a picnic and saving your money. 
 
 I would say its not suitable for buggies if you want to go into the woods, so pack as light as you can (she says, always having a huge heavy backpack with the kitchen sink in it) and if you have tiny ones wear them in a sling/harness.  Let the toddlers run around! I take Oliver's backpack reins for walking to and from the car across the busy road but let him roam free in the woods.  Which reminds me...large free car park in Oaks Road directly opposite, win win! What a great alternative to going to the park and its on your doorstep if you live in Croydon.
 
 

 https://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/parksandopenspaces/parksatoz/coombe-wood

https://www.coachhousecafecroydon.co.uk/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peter Rabbit Woods - Limpsfield Common

Diggerland - Kent

Bocketts Farm Park - Leatherhead